Day of the Dead
Saturday, November 1, 2014, 7:30 PM
First Presbyterian Church
114 SW 8th Street, Corvallis, OR
Sunday, November 2, 2014, 3:00 PM
A Special Event at the Historic Hope Abbey Mausoleum
Eugene Masonic Cemetery
East 25th Avenue & University Street, Eugene, OR
The custom of remembering the dead at the start of winter goes back to pagan times. The early Christian church was always ready to co-opt beloved traditions, and this has led to a cluster of holidays still celebrated today: Halloween (a corruption of All Hallows Eve), All Hallows (also called All Saints) and All Souls, celebrated in Latin America as The Day of the Dead. Vox Resonat marks the day with a program featuring Ockeghem’s lament on the death of Binchois, Josquin’s lament on the death of Ockeghem, Andrieu’s lament on the death of Machaut, and Isaac’s lament on the death of Lorenzo de Medici, as well as excerpts from Richafort’s Requiem and motets of mourning, remembrance and hope.
The Hope Abbey Mausoleum in Eugene, dedicated in 1914, is an outstanding example of rare Egyptian Revival style, featuring a massive entrance archway, papyrus bundles in relief, and lotus blossom urns on either side of the copper doors. After years of disuse and deterioration, it has now been renovated and is once again open to the public.
Audience members will have a rare opportunity to experience this music in an environment close to that in which it was first performed: an intimate stone and marble edifice surrounding a quiet place of meditation and repose.
The mausoleum is unheated and space is limited, so the public is urged to arrive early and dress warmly. The cemetery can be entered through the main gate at 25th and University, or closer to the Hope Abbey from 26th Ave. just west of Potter. Parking is available on Potter, University, 25th and 26th.
The First Presbyterian Church in Corvallis is one of the oldest congregations in the Pacific Northwest; its founder crossed the continent on the Oregon Trail. The present sanctuary, completed in 1909, is one of the few examples of late English Gothic architecture in the area and features a large circular auditorium flanked by two square bell towers.